On She Goes
is a platform for, by, and about women of color & travel. Each quarter features a new theme around the world of travel, but you may have an idea for a piece that doesn't fit into the theme and is not a "guide." If you'd like to submit a pitch that's is more specific to the theme or guide, please take a look at the other available categories. Have you explored On She Goes and don't see the story that you want to tell?
This is the place to pitch essays, articles, stories that you would love to see on On She Goes.
We're open to all ideas, but are specifically looking for:
- Fun, funny, and lighthearted ideas, like "If you're a ____ traveler, you might do this..." It could be: "If you're a budget
traveler, you might do this..." or insert "bougie / queer / Black / fashionista / Muslim / nature-loving / minimalist / etc." to fill in the blank (or any other ideas you may have).
Pop culture and the world of travel like these pieces:
-"'Insecure' Is Hella LA
- "Imagining Queer Dream Dates: Master Of None's Denise & Michelle in NYC
- "Seeing Myself in 'Girls Trip'
- "Amazing Destinations, but Mediocre Men: Bachelorette Rachel Lindsay's Journey to Romance
- News-related pitches about travel like:
- "Biased Much? NAACP Issues Travel Advisory for American Airlines
- "The Cracker Barrel Tweet & What It Says About Black Travel in America
Please include the following in your pitch:Cover letter
* Payment varies, depending on the assigned piece.
- Enter your brief cover letter information in the text box below.
- Introduce yourself and your work, and include clip or samples.
- Upload as a single .doc, .docx, or PDF
- 100-200 word write up outlining your proposed piece.
- Note type of piece you are pitching: interview, reported article, essay, guide, or a category not listed.
- If multiple pitches are submitted on the same document, please clearly state that there is more than one pitch.
- If the a piece references specific locations, please list locations
- As a travel platform, we would love to see your trips. Your submission will be considered based solely on the written pitch, and we ask for photos to get an idea for visuals to go along with your piece.
- Pitch submissions may be accepted even if you don't have photos pertinent to the piece.
- Please make a note in your pitch if you do not have photos to go with your piece. In the case that you don't have photography to submit, since it is required below, please upload any photos to give us an idea of what pictures you have access to.
- Photos must be your own photography. Photos cannot be licensed, other people's photos, and can't be taken from other websites.
- We will not use your photos if we don't accept your pitch.
- If your pitch references specific locations, please include pictures of those locations if you have them.
Pitches are accepted on a rolling basis, please do not wait until the pitch deadline to submit.