On She Goes
is a platform for, by, and about women of color & travel. Each quarter features a fresh, new theme around the world of travel. In Summer 2017 we're excited to explore how we Make It Work
. If you'd like to submit a pitch that's outside of the Make It Work theme, please take a look at the other available categories.
It may be travel for work, family, or other obligations—regardless we make it work
. We've all had to take those obligatory (and sometimes expensive) trips to be a bridesmaid, attend a bachelorette, attend a destination birthday or special occasion, and of course there are the annual trips with family that you can either love or hate. We want perspectives from women of color that are traveling constantly for work and business, and we want to hear from students that are planning to or have studied abroad.
Tell us about the other side of travel, when it isn't exactly for fun or pleasure. How do you prepare for a last minute work trip across the country? Do you have a job that takes you around the world and want to share your experiences? What do you do when you have a family event that you're not just not that into? What do you take into consideration before RSVP-ing for a destination wedding? Did you have an unexpectedly transformative work trip? Have you moved across a country, or the globe, and had an interesting travel experience while doing it? We want to know all about how you made it work
in these travel stories.
Please include the following in your pitch:Cover letter
* Payment varies, depending on the assigned piece.
- Enter your brief cover letter information in the text box below.
- Introduce yourself and your work, and include clip or samples.
- Upload as a single .doc, .docx, or PDF
- 100-200 word write up outlining your proposed piece.
- Note type of piece you are pitching: interview, reported article, essay, guide, or a category not listed.
- If multiple pitches are submitted on the same document, please clearly state that there is more than one pitch.
- If the a piece references specific locations, please list locations
- As a travel platform, we would love to see your trips. Your submission will be considered based solely on the written pitch, and we ask for photos to get an idea for visuals to go along with your piece.
- Pitch submissions may be accepted even if you don't have photos pertinent to the piece.
- Please make a note in your pitch if you do not have photos to go with your piece. In the case that you don't have photography to submit, since it is required below, please upload any photos to give us an idea of what pictures you have access to.
- Photos must be your own photography. Photos cannot be licensed, other people's photos, and can't be taken from other websites.
- We will not use your photos if we don't accept your pitch.
- If your pitch references specific locations, please include pictures of those locations if you have them.
Pitches are accepted on a rolling basis, please do not wait until the pitch deadline to submit.